Thursday, August 19, 2010

Day 4 - Moving more!

I was a tomboy as a kid, always running and playing outside. My older sister Nancy loves to remind me that my Mom used to find worms in my pants pockets when doing laundry. I know, gross! I squirm at the thought of those slimy buggers being in my pockets now....ugh! As children, we didn't think of playing kickball, riding our bikes, climbing hills, as exercise. It was just good, clean fun! Oh, to be a kid again.
Exercise has not been in the forefront of my mind for a long time. But I know, that in order to be successful in this journey, I must incorporate it into my life now. I drive to work and park in one of the hospitals shuttled parking lots. I hop out of my car, get on the shuttle for the 5-7 minute drive to the hospital, depending on the lights. Of course, there is one at the end of the day to take me back to the parking lot. When leaving work this afternoon, I did something a little different. I walked back to my car. I was huffing and puffing, but gosh darn it, I did it. I could have talked myself out of it. The temperature was 93, I didn't have sneakers on, I was tired from a busy day at work....blah, blah, blah! But not today, I said to myself as I was going down the elevator, you are walking today. With my head held high, I walked straight out that front door. The walk took me about 10 minutes. I was trying to keep pace with some other nurses who were ahead of me, but they got way ahead. As I sit here tonight typing this, I think about 10 minutes, that it such a short period of time. In 10 minutes today, look what I accompolished. Some of the "experts" say we need to exercise 3-5 times a week for 30 minutes. If I walked to the hospital this morning, I would have gotten in a total of 20 minutes of exercise today.
I had to return something to Home Depot tonight and on the way there, I saw a sign that read, "Zumba". I have heard this was a fun form of exercise. Fun, like when I was a kid, I needed to check this out. On the way back, I stopped in and spoke to the owner. She was very nice and provided me with a class schedule, costs and told me the next session starts Sept. 7th. I asked her if I could stop by and peek in on a session, she said that was fine. So, I have decided that when I take my peek, if I like what I see, I am going to sign up. I am excited. I have the option to commit to 1 day a week, all the way up to 5 days. This may or may not be for me, but I feel good about making an effort to check it out.
I had another good day of eating and using all the calories in my bank. I thoroughly enjoyed a vanilla cone from McDonalds tonight, this was the end of my available calories. Not a bad way to end the day. It reminded me of when my parents would take us to a local ice cream parlor called Carvel and I would drool for a soft serve vanilla cone. I would have to lick it quickly, because it would start to drip on my hands, melting from the hot sun. Good times!
Good night. I look forward to tomorrow and moving more!

I am worth it!
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment