Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Day 16 - Grocery shopping!

All of us have gone grocery shopping so many times, we could do it in our sleep. Many of us probably know exactly what aisle we could find a particular product. Being on this journey, I have had to approach grocery shopping differently. I have to really pay attention to what I am buying. I have read several articles that advise someone who is watching their weight, to walk the perimeter of the store. This is where you will find the freshest and less processed foods. You will see the produce section, with an array of fruits and veggies. The seafood and meat departments are found there. Lastly, the dairy section, it is always outside of the aisles. The aisles are what I refer to as, "temptation zones". Think about all the stuff that is found in the aisles. Most of it used to fill my cart.
Now, before going to the grocery store, I need to create a list. I used to just walk in, grab a cart and fill it with whatever I wanted, good or bad. The list is to help keep me focused and decrease the risk of a bad choice creeping in. I used to get sucked in all the time to the "bogo" offers, mostly of things I didn't need. But, hey it was a great price. If there was a package of cookies on sale, they ended up in my cart. Creating the list goes back to planning. That has really helped me stay on track.
I am sure you have heard it before, "never go grocery shopping when you are hungry". Just walking into a grocery store can make you hungry. Many times, you walk in and are hit with the smell of rotisserie chicken cooking. It smells delicious. Tonight, I went to the store after work, and yes, I was a little hungry. But, I am focused and determined. Hunger was not going to effect me, I wasn't going to let it. I had my list and I stuck to it. I actually tested myself, I purposely walked thru temptation alley and kept walking.
I must admit, my fridge/freezer has never been more organized. I know exactly where to find something and already have a plan as to what I am going to make with a particular food or product. There is no doubt that this is more time consuming. Before, it was either the grab and go for me or when my fridge was empty, I would go to the nearest drive thru. We all know the consequences of those actions.
My resolve right now is pretty strong. I am on a natural high from yesterdays weigh in, feeling really good about the last 2 weeks. I look forward to tomorrow and having another good day.

I am worth it!
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment