Saturday, August 21, 2010

Day 6 - Liking what I see in the mirror!

There was a time I didn't mind looking at myself in the mirror. But that time was long ago. I put on an outfit this morning and when I looked in the mirror, boy, I didn't like what I was seeing. I was pretty sad, how could I have let myself get to this point. The old me, before I started this journey, would have definitely begun to self destruct at that very moment. No doubt in my mind, the sadness would have grown, I would have proceeded to my kitchen and ate something, anything I could grab quickly. I can proudly say, not today. I said out loud, Jill, you are just starting on this journey, give it time, you will get there. I immediately changed into something else and didn't look in the mirror again.
Sure, it is going to be a while before I really do like what I see again in the mirror, but you know what, I am invested and need to be patient. This transformation is not going to happen overnight. Rome wasn't built in a day! I am sure I will see, and others may not, successes along the way.
A highshool friend I haven't see in a while, recently posted a new picture of herself on Facebook, she looks fantastic. She reached her weightloss goals. I sent her a message telling her how great she looked and asked her what was her motivation. Was it someone or something? She wrote, "My motivation was my results. I was/am excited about what I saw in the mirror, being able to buy stylish clothes, increased confidence... I also liked the way I was feeling physically. I feel strong and energized and I never remember feeling that way. I fell off many, many wagons before this past year. Something finally clicked for me. I know now that the words I was telling myself about myself, were self-fulfilling. Don't make my mistake. Instead, when you start to feel negative, find something positive to tell yourself instead. Eventually, you'll believe it." Her response really resonated with me. She was right, my minds negative thoughts about myself were self-fulfilling. I said things to myself like, "I'll never be thin; I am going to be fat for life; I am such a failure". Those negative thoughts helped me gain tons of weight. As I move forward, I will do my best to say positive things to myself and look forward to liking what I see in the mirror.

I am worth it!
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment